Tuesday 20 September 2011

Death to the Collaborators!

Shock horror! After having the importance of teacher/TL collaboration drummed into me by every article I've read over the past 10 weeks I stumbled across a recent article by Michael Eisenberg and Janet Murray, creators of the Big 6.

Eisenberg, M.B. and Murray, J. (2011) Big 6 by the month: a new approach. Library Media Connection, 29(6), pp.10-13 (Can you tell I'm in essay mode?)

I  quote: "Systematic, large-scale, comprehensive collaboration is just not possible given the number of library and technology professionals in most schools."

Well, that's a bit of a shock to a young student like myself. I think I'm suffering from Carol Kuhlthau's uncertainty principle, although I'm not sure if I'm in the Zone of Intervention yet. Can I just hide under a rock until everyone's made up their minds?

Actually, it's not all bad news from the Big 6 twins. They may have thrown collaboration out of the window, but you should still be 'connecting' with the curriculum, and they've put together a month by month programme so that all the TLs will be doing the same things at the same time and can share ideas, plans, etc. That still sounds suspiciously like collaboration to me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment