Tuesday 1 July 2014

Toddlers and Lego

Day two: I spent my morning today joining in with toddler time and a Lego activity for the school holidays. 

Toddler time was much as I remembered it from other libraries. The mums bring their little ones in to get them out of the house and to meet a few others in the same situation. Their children join in some of the time and run around crazily the rest of the time. I'm sure this programme is designed to help pre-school literacy, but I think it is probably more of a service to the mums.

The lego activity was easy to run; just a matter of putting out some Lego and colouring sheets, but the group who had booked it turned up with significantly more children. This showed me that even with the best planning people will always abuse the system and you need to be flexible (not unlike teaching!).

My afternoon was spent mostly opening boxes of new books and checking invoices. This was fairly time consuming, although I got faster once I got a system going. Ultimately there are a number of jobs in the library that are fairly unskilled and repetitive, but that need to be done each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment