Friday 15 July 2011

At The Coast

Beginning anything new, even a simple blog, can be a daunting prospect. Even before starting you are faced with the seemingly momentous decision of what name to choose. Rather like naming a child there are innumerable options and they all seem objectionable. After all, I want the name of my blog to reflect who I am and relate in some way to the purpose of it's creation.

So, after much deliberation, welcome to The Anabasis.

For those not in the know, an anabasis is a journey from the coast heading inland. As I am currently beginning my journey into the land of teacher librarianship through study at Charles Sturt University I thought it a fitting analogy. The purpose of this blog is to record my progress towards that target. Currently I am standing on the coast looking inland, more than just a little apprehensive about the task I have set myself, but determined to succeed nonetheless.

In my younger days of study I was an ancient historian, and at heart I shall always be so. While my wife would not allow me to name our children Agamemnon or Heracles, I can at least pay homage to Xenophon with this reference to his 'Anabasis,' although I suspect his writing will still outlast mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment