Thursday 26 September 2013

Calling All Numbers..

So, I've worked my way through Module 4 of INF505. In theory I now possess the knowledge to create my own call numbers. Well, I say in theory. In fact I really am able to create my own call numbers. Unfortunately they do not always seem to match those which are given as the answers to the various exercises.

So, what is so difficult? I always thought Dewey was a pretty simple systen. Just say what the subject of the item is and give it the appropriate number, right? Hmm.. not that simple after all. Even if you can work out the correct subject (many may apply!) you then have to worry about building the number to include historical or geographical references that will make it more specific. I can cope with this concept, but I may not be alone here in finding the Dewey Tables and the way they express themselves as utterly confusing. I'm sure that once you've been using them for a while they make perfect sense, but to me right now it feels like I'm wading through treacle.

What about the book number part of the call number then? Surely that's just the first three letters of the author's name? Well, true, this is a bit simpler, except that sometimes it isn't. The SCIS rules we are being asked to apply complicate the book number process, although this still pales by comparison with the extra complexity they add to the Dewey number allocation.

While I can understand the processes involved here I think that I would be lucky to get the right Dewey numbers half the time, although I'm sure many would be close. I'm certainly glad that Assignment 2 won't be asking us to create them ourselves, and that there are more points available for assigning Subject Headings, which seems rather more intuitive, although still fraught with the occasional pitfall.

My own thought on the whole Dewey number thing is that, even without the extra SCIS rules to contend with, they are overly specific for the vast majority of libraries. They have imposed a limit of nine digitis for school libraries, but realistically that's still way too big. Even when I used to find items in my University library, which was large, I never paid attention to anything after the first five digits. Most children don't look beyond the decimal point, and really don't need to. I can see that a specific subject library might need more specificity, but for most of us it's simply a lot of wasted effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment