Wednesday 18 June 2014

Musings on a Study Visit


Aft the end of day three of my study visit, and after my third school library, here are a few of my thoughts and things I've noticed.

Small group tables with screens to hook up a laptop are definitely the 'in' thing, and by all accounts they are a popular feature, although I haven't actually seen them being used.
Students can be employed to do all the menial shelving and can be paid minimum wage. This will also familiarise them with the library.
Design is all important, and more money spent does not always equate to a better 'feel'. The arrangement of walls and shelving can be used purposefully to create great learning areas, and simple touches with the lighting can really make a difference. It is worth taking time to plan out your space. Furniture can also be key. I loved the wheels chairs at All Halllows (see photo above).
Roam the room! Children will ask you for help if you are nearby but won't always seek you out.
Library programmes should be about creating something that involves picking up research/info lot skills along the way. Constructivism rules ok!

I'm sure there's more I could put down, but I feel really rather tired. Who knew learning could be so exhausting?




No comments:

Post a Comment