Friday 5 August 2011

The Salmon... Splish Splash

This week I have felt rather like the salmon struggling upstream against the raging torrent. I have been swimming around the world wide water hunting for new feeding grounds for my school.. Well, something like that anyway. Perhaps I should end this metaphor before it becomes completely incomprehensible.

What I  have actually been doing is hunting for websites to evaluate for my ETL501 assignment 1. Having selected a Year 4 history topic I embarked on a journey of discovery full of awe and wonder.. almost. I have discovered that the web is full of sites that say exactly the same thing as every other site available on the same topic. I find myself wondering whether there is any value in finding four sites when you will learn everything that's available from the first one you visit. I wonder to myself, did they all simply cut and paste from each other?
Perhaps the fault is mine. I like things to be orderly, and I don't like wasting my time trawling through something I've already seen. I wish there was some way to spring clean the Internet and scrub away all the dust that has gathered there over the years.

I have also reaffirmed something I already knew.. the Internet is not designed for children. While locating the relevant information is relatively simple, doing so in a format that is accessible and attractive to a group of 9 year olds is another matter entirely. I guess this is simply a cross that those of us working in the primary sphere must grin and bear with dignity. Lovely

No comments:

Post a Comment