Thursday 27 October 2011

Make like a mirror...

... reflect.

Well, it's that time again. ETL 501 assignments were returned promptly, but I have to admit being a bit disappointed in my result. While 65% is a reasonable pass I thought I'd done enough to warrant slightly better marks on some sections at least. I was a bit confused by the comments. Admittedly, yes I neglected to discuss Boolean logic in my search discussion, and that was a bit of a mistake, but the other comments really didn't match well with what I'd written. Comments on the forum indicate a number of others similarly confused about exactly what they wanted from us, so I'm inclined to think there may have been some harsh marking flying around the place.
My spirits were boosted, however, when I got my ETL 401 assignment back. I don't think I've ever got 98% on an assignment before, and certainly not since I was at school. I can't say I worked  harder on this assignment than the other though, so the discrepancy between the marks is all the more startling. All I can think is that the course notes for 401 gave far more essential and recommended reading throughout, and perhaps I inadvertently spent more time on this than 501. I don't think I could have worked any harder with the time I had available.
So, what lessons can I carry forward? First and foremost, don't bite off more than I can chew. I may have done startlingly well on one assignment, but overall it was a massive struggle to do two subjects whilst working full time and I was just glad to pass. I will be sticking to one subject per semester in future and I might be able to have higher expectations than simply scraping through. For now I'll happily take the marks I've got and prepare to start afresh with ETL 503.

No comments:

Post a Comment