Friday 4 November 2011

Working With a Hoe

Apparently the modules are now available for me to read. Hopefully there will be more than the Kennedy text since I'm still waiting for that to arrive. If nothing else, my experience with the Librariansbookstore.com has shown me that acquiring resources is not simply a matter of selection, and also perhaps that the early bird does not always catch the worm. Damn those sneaky worms!

Still, my lack of a recommended text to read has encouraged me to do a little preliminary research into this topic that may prove useful later. I'm not one to rest on my laurels.. they're far too scratchy. While I find myself reading a number of texts that are far more relevant to those working in public libraries, particularly in America, I have gleaned a few insights into collection development.

Apparently I'm going to need a good hoe, albeit a metaphorical one. It seems that the key to a good collection is weeding, alongside knowledge of the curriculum and the library users needs/interests. Yes, we need to know what are the best new resources to buy, but the way to start is with an audit of what is currently available in the collection. Identify items that are dated, damaged or simply unused and replace them with new ones that will serve current curriculum needs more effectively.

What scares me here is that things always take longer than you think they will, and I already think this sounds like an immensely time-consuming process. The texts I've read so far recommend having a clear policy on how much to weed from the collection each year, but I think it needs to include a clear recommendation for the number of man hours, or woman hours (I don't want to be sexist), that need to be devoted to this process in an ongoing fashion throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment